12 February 2012

de-briefing

On a day like today I miss see-through-faith, who is living in England this year. She used to be my regular Godly Play companion, as close to a "proper" door-person as I've ever had, and we would debrief together for a short time at the end of each session. Usually we'd also meet sometime during the following week and talk things out some more.

I feel that I wasn't as fully present in the story as I ought to have been today. I was telling the story, but not really experiencing the story as I told it.

Today's lesson was "the Great Family", which was too long last year. So this year I warned the circle in advance, and asked if they could cope with a long story. But even so, I suppose I was nervous and distracted. Suddenly I was telling about the birth of Isaac before God had even promised him to Abram! I apologized and gently took Isaac away again (but kept him in view, beside the edge of the desert bag), while I told about Abram and Sarai wanting a baby, and God's promise.

photo from last year (by see-through faith)
Even then, though, I forgot to tell about their names changing! *shakes head* Fortunately, that came up during our talk at the end because today's helper asked about the meanings of Abraham and Sarah. (I didn't find a meaning for Sarah in our classroom Bible, but I did read out that Abram had meant "exalted father" while Abraham meant "father of many".)

So, I'm disappointed with myself. 

Happily, amongst any disappointments of a session I can always find something that has gone well. This week, the children seemed to work very well once they were dismissed to Response Time. One had to overcome great disappointment at not being able to join in with the work of another, but eventually decided to draw, and worked very independently. Another came up with the idea of turning the Advent basket upside-down as a pedestal for the Risen Christ to overlook the whole spread of Advent materials.


A nice reminder that the "success" of a session is less dependent upon the Storyteller than upon our God. 

4 comments:

  1. Amen to that last statement! And thanks for writing about a time when it didn't go so well. Reading about GP on blogs, we can get an unrealistic idea of serene children quietly working if we leave out the times when we're off or when the kids are turning the materials into weapons or chewing on the crayons.: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully none of mine have turned materials into weapons... yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talked with you helper for a bit and she was very impressed with the way you led GP AND said that she had felt like she was in the middle of the story when you were telling it. In other words, her experience was quite contrary to yours :).
    Meanwhile at the main church I, too, felt that things didn't really flow the way I would have hoped and yet to my surprise the entire congregation stayed to meditate after the service.
    We do our very best but we will never be perfect nor do we have to be. Perhaps there need to be imperfection, roughness at the edges so that there is a point where we can come together.
    Anyway, my husband thinks you are really brilliant at telling the stories and so did your helper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful encouragement mia-pappi. Take it that LG is enjoying Godly play too :)

    I miss it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for conversing with me about Godly Play®! I do moderate some comments for the sake of the children I write about. Please be polite: to quote the Velveteen Rabbi, Whatever you're going to say in response to my posts, consider whether it's the sort of thing you would say to your host or their children if you'd been invited to someone's home for tea. If it isn't, then please don't say it here.

If you're new to commenting on blogs, I recommend that you "Comment as" Name/URL. You can use your real first name or a nickname. URL is the address of a website that you want to be linked with your name - feel free to leave it blank. Before your comment is accepted, you have to pass a spam filter. After clicking on 'post comment' or 'preview', just type in the sequence of letters you will then see (or click on the wheelchair for a recording of characters to type). Thanks for reading and commenting!